Metallic Greenhouses in Kenya – Aqua Hub
Metallic Greenhouse Materials |Metallic Greenhouses are greenhouses made of metallic structures and greenhouse polythene covers.
Why greenhouse farming
Growing of crops in greenhouses is increasingly becoming a more profitable and effective agribusiness venture. Greenhouse farming guarantees high production levels and income earnings every season. Greenhouse farming enhances small land and water utilization to produce more agricultural crops.
Metallic Greenhouse Materials
Metallic greenhouses are built using galvanized steel profiles attached together using screws. These structures are strong and reliable for construction of greenhouses in all types of soil. The building materials are;
- Galvanized steel profiles
- wiggle wires
- Polythene covers
- Screws/Nuts and bolts
- Insect nets
Greenhouses provide a warm and less humid environment that favours faster growth and production of crops. The greenhouse covering films is a transparent material, it allows light to penetrate thus photosynthesis can take place. However, it is waterproof to prevent moisture and humid air to enter the greenhouse.
Parts of a Metallic Greenhouse
- Skeleton metallic Structure – Composed of built structure to hold the greenhouse cover for a complete greenhouse. The profiles on the walls are erected and cemented to the ground using profiles
- Walls – The walls consist of insect net materials
- Roofing-. The roofing part is a tunnel or arch shape metal bar structure. Greenhouse covers attach to the structure using wiggle wires. The greenhouse covers are transparent and heat insulators to prevent heat loss.
- Ventilation – The ventilation is the space for air circulation in and release of high heat to the outside environment. Ventilation is either on the rooftop (vent types) or the walls (arch type).
Advantages of Metallic Greenhouses Materials
- They are durable – Metallic greenhouses can last for a long time. Metallic greenhouses can last for more than 15 years of production.
- They can withstand harsh weather conditions – metallic structures and polythene covers are resistant to harsh weather conditions such as heavy rainfall and strong winds.
- Metallic steel bars are resistant to corrosion – The metallic structures hold the polythene covers for a long period of time as they don’t rust or corrode.
- Metallic greenhouses are effective – The robustness of metallic greenhouses makes them more efficient for agriculture and continuous agribusiness production.
- It is easier and cheap to maintain metallic greenhouses – The cost and maintenance of metallic greenhouses is relatively low since they are strong and rarely prone to damage.