What are Reducer Couplings?
PE reducer couplings are fittings that connect two pipes of different sizes in an irrigation system.
They also apply to domestic water supply systems, industrial pipelines and sewage systems.
They enhance smooth water flow from mainline pipes to branching or sub mainline pipes while maintaining a leak free connection.
- Reducer couplings are made of HDPE plastic materials. HDPE materials offer excellent strength, durability and chemical resistance. This allows them to suit a wide range of applications.
- Reducer Couplings are available in sizes of 20 mm, 25 mm, 32 mm, 40 mm, 50 mm, 63 mm, 75 mm, 90 mm and 110 mm.
- Reducer couplings are available in various types: such as straight or reducing couplings.
- The choice of reducer couplings depends on the needs of an irrigation system.
Features of Reducer Couplings
Socket fusion or Butt Fusion
They can be either socket fusion or butt fusion type.
Socket fusion couplings have a socket or female end that connects to a pipe.
Butt fusion couplings have plain ends.
PE reducer couplings have a pressure rating which indicates the maximum pressure they can withstand. It is important to choose a coupling with a suitable pressure rating for a specific application’s requirement.
PE reducer couplings are designed for use with polythene pipes. A PE reducer should be compatible with the specific grade and type of PE pipe in the system.
How to Install PE reducer Couplings
The installation of PE reducers may vary depending on the type of fusion method used. The installation involves:
- Cleaning and preparing pipe ends. Removing dirt and particles.
- Fusion or joining process.
- For socket fusion couplings, heat the socket end, and insert a pipe onto the expanded socket. Leave the joint to cool and solidify to form a secure connection.
- For butt couplings, heat plain ends of the pipe and couplings using a butt fusion machine. Then apply pressure to join them. The joint cools and solidifies.
Checking the connection is important after installation to ensure the connection is proper and leak-free.
Aqua Hub Kenya has all drip and other irrigation systems accessories.